Salt Bae is in Turkey serving free meals | The Express Tribune
The 7.8 magnitude earthquake that occurred on February 6 has resulted in a staggering loss of life, with the death toll surpassing 41,000 across Turkey and Syria. Since then, many celebrities have lent support to the victims of the disaster. And joining the list is Turkish chef Nusret Gokce, also known as Salt Bae, who is making true to his promise of feeding at least 5,000 survivors daily.
Taking to Instagram, the well-known culinarian shared a video of a food truck with his restaurant’s label handing out bowls of hot food to numerous people. “We started serving hot food to more people, targeting 5000 people every day. We started serving hot meals for 5000 people and more,” explained Nusret.
Prior to this, Nusret also posted a picture of a mobile kitchen that would travel to earthquake-hit areas. “It will be the most important and meaningful service in the world for us,” wrote the restauranter in his post. The combined death toll in Turkey and Syria has climbed to more than 41,000, and millions are in need of humanitarian aid, with many survivors having been left homeless in near-freezing winter temperatures.
The focus is now on helping the survivors, and since many of the sanitation systems in the area were damaged or rendered inoperable by the earthquakes, it will be hard for health officials to keep people from getting sick. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan acknowledged problems in the initial response to the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck early on February 6 but has now said that the situation is now “under control,” reported Reuters.
“We are facing one of the greatest natural disasters not only in our country but also in the history of humanity,” Erdogan said in a televised speech in Ankara.
Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.